Seldom at a loss for words.


ABOUT THE BLOGGER
Photo 8
Abode: Nine Forward
Interests: Writing, Singing, Working Out

Clickage Here Will Land You My Complete Profile

RECENTLY POSTED

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

IMPORTANT LINKAGE
Thanks for stopping by! Your visit here isn't complete until you do the comment thing. Don't make me pull over, just do it! Click on the "reflections" link at the end of a post.


*A WHOLE NOTHER THING:
A selection of words from my vast vocabulary, including the ubiquitous "the," the always versatile "and," and the more obscure "incontrovertible," arranged in frequently meaningful, sometimes profound, yet often pedestrian sentences and statements, designed with one goal in mind-- that being, to communicate; keeping in mind the oft-used bromide, "Never use two words when one will do the same job as two or more words would have done, unless you just want to take up space and sound important," which is, I must concede, too often a secret objective of mine indeed. And yet, now, the secret is out.




GrandmaBAuntRuth
Who ARE these women?


© MMX Mattquist. Some Rights Reserved


Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Starbucks Break

As is my wont, I am sitting here at Starbucks, typing away. I often find a Starbucks, whip out my laptop and start typing-- usually on my journal. Today, I thought I'd share this moment with you, the gentle reader. The community atmosphere here is friendly, and even though I could do this kind of writing at home (and with a lot less logistical maneuvering to boot), I find that setting up shop here can be a grist for my writing.

People can be so interesting. Right now there is a man sitting about 7 feet in front of me, at a table, reading a book that is written in Chinese, or some other Asian characters. And he's not Asian. Interesting.

I called in to work this morning and asked for the day off. It's a situation where if they have enough drivers, and if the volume of packages is at a place that doesn't require that they work all of the drivers, then they make last minute changes to the routes and set the number of routes to be dispatched, thereby, allowing any excess drivers on the roster to have the day off (if there actually IS an excess). Well, as it worked out, today I was an excess. I have to call in at about 6:00 AM and let them know I'm interested in getting the day off, and then I have to call in again, just after 7:00 AM to see if I got it. By 7:00 I have to already be on the road to work, because if they DO need me I'd be late if I weren't already en route. So, I called on my cell phone at 7:00 (or so) and Sue in the dispatch office answered.

"So, what's my status?" I asked.

She said, "Well, what are you going to do today, play golf or go fishing?"

"Maybe a little of both," I answered.

"Okay," she said. "We'll see you tomorrow. Have a good time."

Actually, I neither golf nor fish, so I hope I don't get in trouble for lying.

They're instituting new security measures down at work, which, to my disgruntlement, entails the prohibition of bringing laptop computers in through the guard shack. I usually pack mine (on which I'm currently typing) in my tote and then use it to type my memoirs (well, maybe) during my lunch break. I've also been known to frequent the Starbucks on my route (yes, isn't it amazing how many of them there are) and connect via wi-fi to the Internet. But, alas, if I am unable to circumvent the new restriction, that lunchtime practice will come to a screeching halt. I must needs find a way to implement said circumvention. ;) I'll keep you posted on my efforts. (I hope the people @ loss prevention don't read this blog).


link | posted by Unknown at 7/06/2006 08:43:00 AM |


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 6:19 PM, October 02, 2006~  

This looks like the the Matt Norquist I knew from Gresham, Oregon, is it? Was just thinking about you the other day and entered your name in Google and your Blog came up. So what are you doing cross country? David

Blogger Unknown commented at 8:26 PM, October 02, 2006~  

Yeah, David, it's me! Cross country? I'm still here in Gresham, not far from your place.

Matt

Want to Comment? CLICK--> Post a Comment

powered by Blogger | designed by mela | tweaked by matt

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com